Thursday, May 15, 2014

I Say Everything Twice. I Say Everything Twice.

There have been a number of studies that show, on average, women speak more words per day than men. I'd believe that. I know I say a LOT of words everyday, mainly because I am the mother of a male toddler. This means that unless I'm wearing an eye patch, talking like a pirate and brandishing a plastic pirate sword I am otherwise invisible and silent and must repeat myself in hopes of getting a response. Well, unless he wants me to fetch food that is. Then I can be heard quite clearly saying "no" to the chocolate chip cookie and yes to the yogurt. I know he hears that because there is either foot-stomping, arguing, or a tantrum that follows.

 I know all parents find themselves repeating the same things over and over again, it just happens to be a pet peeve of mine.

Me: Little Man, what do you want for breakfast?
Little Man:
Me: What do you want for breakfast?
Little Man:
I walk away.
Little Man: Mama, can I get oatmeal?

Sometimes there is a response but it is more of a non sequitur:

Me: Little Man, what do you want for breakfast?
Little Man: Mama, this is my airplane.
Me: Yes it is. What do you want for breakfast?
Little Man: vroooooom.
I walk away.
Little Man: Mama, can I get oatmeal?
Image from
www.Amazon.com

It reminds me of Joseph Heller's masterpiece Catch-22. An exercise in futility and circular logic. A synopsis: Army pilot Captain John Yossarian is trying to get out of the army by pleading insanity but the army physicians claim that anyone claiming to be insane to get out of the army is sane. At one time, Yossarian imitates another soldier who is quarantined when he says he sees everything twice. Eventually, the other soldier dies before he gets sent home and Yossarian decides he can see everything once.

I feel that way. Sort of. I say everything twice in an attempt to get some sort of reward in the form of a response from my Little Man. It seems that the only time I get a response is actually after I've walked away. Does that mean I have to be absent in order to interact?

Still, the question remains, why do I have to repeat myself? Does he not hear me? Does he not understand me? Does he take me for granted? Why? Why?

No comments:

Post a Comment